Friday 10 January 2014

Dare to be different

The main message of this post today is, go against the grain, have the unpopular opinion, dare to be different! Now although this does apply to life in general, I am focusing more on in the beauty-product world. Just because every well-known blogger, and the whole of your bloglovin' dashboard, bow down at the feet of a 'miracle product' doesn't mean you have to like it! Sometimes we (including myself) get far to swayed by what other people think. Everybody's face/skin/body/hair is different, so what works for one person may not work for you, and that is ok! So, in the spirit of today I am going to do a little overview of products that everyone seems to love, but me. 

Estee Lauder Doublewear: Absolutely everyone (including my house mate) loves this full coverage, non-budging high end foundation. However, I do not. It doesn't sit nicely on my skin at all, it leaves me with a strange white cast and feels far to heavy on my face. I have tried it on a few occasions to make sure it wasn't just a one off but it definitely does not work for me. It is an extra shame as this is the first 'high end' foundation I splurged on, so I am a little bit wary now.That being said, if it works for you I have a nearly full bottle in Ivory Nude for sale!

Maybelline baby lips: I found one of the plain baby lips in the clearance section of Superdrug for £1 because the packaging was damaged. I was super excited as I had heard nothing but good things since these sticks crossed the pond, but alas, they were not for me. Far from the 8-hour hydration they claim the formula sat on my lips for an hour or 2 before needing to be re-applied. They aren't shockingly bad by any means and would be useful to have in your handbag, but for hype I felt quite let down. However, for the £1 I paid I am perfectly happy, as the smell is divine.

Rimmel Scandaleyes waterproof kajal in 005 nude: Everyone loved a nude pencil in the waterline to open up tired eyes, and so do I. Particularly everyone seems to love this one, however I find that it doesn't seem to work for me as well as it does everyone else. The colour seems a little bit off and the overall effect not great. I much prefer to use my Chella highlighter which I received in my Birchbox, the brighter and lighter colour is a lot more flattering on me and the product is very soft and gentle. I do like the Rimmel offering but it doesn't hold the same place in my heart as it seems to in everyone elses.

Dr Lipps nipple balm for lips: Another cult lip-product that just doesn't do much for me. I find this to be like a concentrated version of vaseline (which I don't get on with either) it just kinda sits on my lips and doesn't do anything except make them feel sticky. I also find the formula really thick and hard to work with, I need some elbow grease to apply it to my lips!

Bioderma crealine h20: This is a bit of an odd one, as I do love Bioderma for taking off my make up, it does it quickly and efficiently with minimal fuss. However, I cannot use this on my eyes, a quick sweep with a very slightly damp cotton pad to remove the top layer is about as far as it goes, because this stuff stings. 

Benefit's they're real! mascara: This is another odd one, for me I only have a small window when I can love this mascara. The right time is when it has dried up a little bit, as otherwise I find the formula too wet, but it will quite quickly dry up too much. In that respect the price of it, for the amount of time I actually enjoy using it, doesn't cut it for me. 

And that is it for my negative-nelly post! I hope you didn't think it was too much of a downer. Are there any products that you have been in a similar situation with? I would love to know. 

1 comment:

  1. I love Estee Lauder double wear its the best foundation I've found so far and also suits my pale skin.
    I have to agree with you on the Benefit, I love how it made my eyelashes looked but it smudge everywhere!

    Hannah
    x
    www.daintyandivory.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete